Bilingual Chinese speakers act as a bridge to share God’s word through live interpretation or document translation to support other ministries to serve our neighbour
…I will change the speech of the peoples to a pure speech, that all of them may call upon the name of the LORD and serve him with one accord. Zephaniah 3:9
Situation in Hong Kong
- Approx 90% of Hong Kong population speaks Cantonese as their usual language to communicate, and another 5% mainly uses other forms of Chinese dialects
- Approx 3% speaks English as their usual language to communicate, though around 40% can use English to communicate
- Ethnic Chinese accounts for approx 95% of population, followed by Indonesians and Filipinos both 2%, Caucasians 1%, South Asians close to 1%
Source: Women & Men in HK Key Statistics 2015 Edition (Census and Statistics Dept, HK Government)
How SP responds?
- As an international English speaking church, we want to follow Jesus Christ, sharing the Word of God to our neighbours, majority of which is Cantonese speaking Chinese
- Our team of bilingual or multi-lingual speakers is the “bridge” (interpreters / translators) between the non-Chinese speaking congregation and Hong Kong neighbours we encounter
- The Bridge team partners with our outreach teams to reach out and connect to the people of Hong Kong! We share the love of God and the gospel with the people of Hong Kong on a one-on-one basis or to a crowd, as well as through document translation.
Prayer Meeting – 3rd Sunday of the month on Sunday after 11:30am service
For more information, please email [email protected]